Last visit was: Mon Feb 07, 2024 9:54 pm
It is currently Mon Feb 07, 2024 9:54 pm

[ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
What is your least favorite Friday the 13th film(s)? 

Post Re: What is your least favorite Friday the 13th film(s)?
Jason Goes to Hell: The Final Friday is for me my least favorite as well as the worst film in the series. To be fair I decided to list some pros and cons from the film.

Pros
Pre title sequence is cool.
Jason is not a little boy swimming in toxic waste.
Kane Hodder calling himself a pussy.
Erin Grey was still pretty hot, nice for all of the old Buck Rodgers fans.
One of the few films in the series that actually has gore, especially the unrated cut.
Some people camping in the woods, it had been a while.
Freddy's Glove at the end.
Nods to the Necronomicon and Creepshow.

Cons
The Script. Seriously? Rip off the plot of the Hidden and create a new mythology for Jason. Why? To be different?
The Direction, or lack thereof. Hate to bring out the mustache shaving but seriously. How does that service the film or move the plot along?
The Cast. Honestly, John d Le May was serviceable on the series, this movie gives him nothing to do but act confused and get beat up. Stephen Williams playing a fey psychotic bounty hunter who has figured out how to kill Jason for a while but I guess he wanted to wait to get paid. Just a lot of people who deserved better.
The awful synth score, still have nightmares over that traveshamockery. Seriously, couldn't they just have reused an old score from 5 or 6.

I guess I could go on and on about the things that I felt were wrong. Adam Marcus was in over his head and Cunningham was so determined to not repeat the past. Combine that with re-writes and re-shoots and it is a miracle that this film was not even worse. New Line did not care about this movie, they were just trying to cash in as they waited for Freddy vs. Jason to come together. I think that shows on the screen. The problem with formula movies is that you are in a Catch 22 situation. If you change it too much the fans will get upset. If you follow too closely to what came before the fans are also upset. The problem with this film, in my opinion, was that no one had a clear vision of what they wanted it to be. Adam and Dean Lorey wanted to have the ultimate Friday movie to please all the fans. They wanted to make Jason as mythic a figure as Frankenstein and the Wolfman, give him this epic mythology. However they took from other films they liked and try to mix it all together. It was a case of wanting to have your cake and eat it too. No one was pleased and Cunningham had to try to salvage it. So we get this weird mix of elements that does not come together. Maybe another camp setting with counselors getting offed was not the right direction but it is hard to deny that the opening, which is the most like the previous films, is what people wanted to see. I don't care about Jason's backstory, I want to see interesting characters in danger running from an unstoppable killing machine. Window dress that how you like but that is the formula.

Tue Jan 25, 2024 6:53 pm

Jason X

Tue Feb 01, 2024 7:31 am

JGTH for me by a long way,though i dont hate any of them too much really. :D

Sat Feb 05, 2024 8:49 pm

I loved FRIDAY THE 13TH (1980), FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 2, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART 3, FRIDAY THE 13TH: THE FINAL CHAPTER, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART V: A NEW BEGINNING, FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VI: JASON LIVES, and FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VII: THE NEW BLOOD.

I liked FRIDAY THE 13TH PART VIII: JASON TAKES MANHATTAN and JASON GOES TO HELL: THE FINAL FRIDAY.

I didn't like JASON X, FREDDY VS. JASON, or FRIDAY THE 13TH (2009).

Sun Feb 06, 2024 11:28 am
 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3