Last visit was: Sat Jan 29, 2024 5:52 am
It is currently Sat Jan 29, 2024 5:52 am

[ 3 posts ] 
Is Warner Brothers a Good Stewart? 

Post Is Warner Brothers a Good Stewart?
http://fridaythe13thfilms.com/blog/warn ... from-game/

Something that Paramount and Newline always understood about Jason and Freddy was that it is the fans that give these franchises value. Fan art was seen as fans doing what fans do and as 'free advertising.' After all, what screams "These movies are great, go see them!" better than seeing fans of these films dedicate their energy, time, and money in creating artwork and projects about these iconic characters?

While I personally liked the new Friday the 13Th, not all fans were thrilled. So in a time when they should be doing more research into the fans of the horror genre to create better films for us and to understand how to relate with our community; Warner Brothers instead decides to take a game many of us loved and have them pull characters. They are definitely not winning any brownie points with me for closing this project down. (For all practical purposes.)

I don't get it. Is there something to this story that we are not being told? This isn't the first Friday the 13Th game we've made. There is one fan-game where we can pick Pamela and about five or so Jasons and kill people in a 3rd person way. Jason was never asked to be pulled from this game and it was never closed down.

And what about the many Jason fan-made movies? The fan-art? The fan-fiction, one of which this site actually hosts? What about the Angry Nintendo Nerds Friday the 13Th video? And all the fans with Jason Tattoos? Why are all of these okay but Terrordrome isn't? None of these were making money, including Terrordrome. (I guess the Tattoo artists make money.) Added, Terrordrome created their own 3D models. So it's really just the 'idea' of Jason and Crystal Lake and not even any copyrighted images that are being used.

This act creates a dangerous double-standard of selective enforcement when it comes to Warner Brother's reactions to fan-made content. Now when any of us want to create something related to Jason do we have to run it by Warner Brothers first? Or do we just spend years of our life on it and hope some guy in some office doesn't destroy it with a couple e-mails as with Terrordome?

I understand that Jason and Friday the 13Th are properties under Warner Brothers now and that what they have asked for is legal. But that doesn't make it right. We are the ones that make these properties valuable. Without us, there would be no value in the property they are trying to 'protect.' Paramount and Newline always respected the fans and, to my knowledge, never harassed fan-works that didn't charge.

Is Warner Brothers being a good steward of the Franchise and respectful to the fans in your eyes?

Tue Jan 25, 2024 3:10 am
Site Admin

Post Re: Is Warner Brothers a Good Stewart?
Very well thought out argument.

I think it's the mixing of Jason with other companies' characters that bothers them. Most of the other unofficial stuff is still at the end of the day free promotion but this game equally promotes other companies.

Tue Jan 25, 2024 8:48 am

Post Re: Is Warner Brothers a Good Stewart?
Dusk wrote:
Very well thought out argument.

I think it's the mixing of Jason with other companies' characters that bothers them. Most of the other unofficial stuff is still at the end of the day free promotion but this game equally promotes other companies.

I was wondering that too. But part of the frustration is that they simply e-mailed the game's creator, and the game's creator didn't make the e-mail public. So, none of the rest of us get to know the reason why. At least if we knew would could dialogue about whether or not this is appropriate and or make sure our own projects steer clear of possible hurdles.

Ash was also pulled by his company so it's not as if Warner Brothers was alone in this. The mixing of characters might have been the reason after all, but the mixing of characters often leads to fan excitement and sometimes to new projects from the studios such a Freddy VS Jason. Tom Sullivan was not happy that the Necronomicon is in Jason Goes to Hell but that lead to Freddy VS Jason VS Ash and The Nightmare Warriors. Two works I enjoyed a lot.

"The Necronomicon found in the Voorhees house is a prop created by Tom Sullivan for The Evil Dead (1981) and Evil Dead II (1987). Sam Raimi sent a letter asking Sullivan to forgive him for not asking permission to borrow Sullivan's Evil Dead II (1987) props for this film. 'Tom Sullivan (III)' said he was not paid and would never again loan out props without granting permission."
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107254/trivia

Tue Jan 25, 2024 4:39 pm
 [ 3 posts ]