Last visit was: Mon Feb 07, 2024 9:54 pm
It is currently Mon Feb 07, 2024 9:54 pm

[ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Perhaps the Most Underrated in the Franchise 

Post Re: Perhaps the Most Underrated in the Franchise
Part 5 was my first 'Friday' film. I loved it even though Jason wasn't the killer. Had this film featured Jason as the main character, then I don't think the 6th film would have turned out to be as good as it was. So you really have to give the 5th film its dues.

Tue Jan 04, 2024 3:26 am

I like the movie for the most part, but found it lacking something from the style of the first 4 films. I would have liked to see Roy actually run around and chase people like he did in parts 3 & 4. Roy just lumbered around like a zombie. Still I found the finale pretty entertaining overall. The candybar scene is a classic moment in the series that everyone seems to remember. lol

Tue Jan 04, 2024 4:35 pm

I think Roy was lumbering around because they wanted to raise the question in the viewers mind whether or not Jason was still around...and I don't think he'd be galloping at his normal pace.

Wed Jan 05, 2024 12:45 pm

Cropsy.......hands down the best post I've read, because in my opinion, "zombie" jason was utter rubbish. I went to a recent scarefest in the late fall, and I was so excited to meet Brooker. Such an extremely nice man in contrast to one of the Jasons that scared me senseless in the 80s. My friends that went with me were shocked that I didn't care to meet Kane....and Kane def. deserves his due, but Brooker/White are THE definition to me.

Long live Human Jason

Fri Jan 07, 2024 8:39 pm

Nah its not underated,it deserves all the flack it gets.Imagine if you went to see your favorite band and all you got was some wannabe cover band?

Fri Jan 07, 2024 10:51 pm

kcjonesy24 wrote:
Cropsy.......hands down the best post I've read, because in my opinion, "zombie" jason was utter rubbish. I went to a recent scarefest in the late fall, and I was so excited to meet Brooker. Such an extremely nice man in contrast to one of the Jasons that scared me senseless in the 80s. My friends that went with me were shocked that I didn't care to meet Kane....and Kane def. deserves his due, but Brooker/White are THE definition to me.

Long live Human Jason

I logged in as this account, but thanks man! I agree...human>zombie Jason.

Mon Jan 10, 2024 2:41 pm

There is just something to me so horrific about human jason. Zombie jason to me is no different that a Batman or a superman......just too fake. Human jason had so many human traits that made him more real....and horrifying.

Mon Jan 10, 2024 2:59 pm

CROPSYS CRYPTKEEPER wrote:
In the Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter Jason met his embarrassing defeat at the hands of Corey Feldman, so it should come as no surprise that he wasn’t in the mood to resurface for the 5th entry in the series. If Corey Feldman beat you at anything would you want to show your face in public anytime soon? I didn’t think so.

Friday the 13th part 5 gets a lot of shit for not having the “real” Jason in it. He’s only shown in hallucinations and dreamlike illusions. The real killer is a copycat. He’s an ambulance driver named Roy. There, I fucking spoiled it for the people that didn’t catch the obvious wink-wink, nudge-nudge moments in the film showing Roy’s reaction to his dead son Joey and subsequent “Are you talking to me Sheriff?” dialogue. And while some people might find Roy a poor substitute for a killer mongoloid in serious need of swimming lessons, I found it thematically appropriate. The original Friday the 13th was about a mother’s reaction to grief over her son’s death (or presumed death). The fifth entry deals with a father’s reaction to his son Joey’s death, which is a theme that ties the series together with its roots quite nicely. Joey is even represented as a social outcast, much like Jason was said to be; ignored and physically different from his peers, and his death triggers a lethal response in Roy much the same way news of Jason’s drowning triggers Pamela Voorhees to kill. And their purpose for killing seemed to extend way beyond mere revenge. It seemed apparent to me that both of them wanted to memorialize the deaths of their children whose mistreatment by the world would have otherwise gone completely forgotten while simultaneously attacking a society they believed had let them down some way. Their failure to protect as guardians was placed on the failure of society to protect its innocent.

I’m glad they kept Jason dead for this installment. I love the big loaf like most fans but his time was done, and keeping him dead is much better than bringing him back to be some cheesy ass superhuman Frankenstein monster. The film makers themselves couldn’t even play it with a straight face anymore, adding little cutesy tongue in cheek garbage to the script every chance they got, like having Jason do a James Bond impression, or being resurrected by lightning, or knocking over some punk kid’s stereo in Manhattan. Fun, sure...but it just doesn't have the same punch. Give me Roy over Zombie Jason any day.

Wow.. I never really liked Part 5 because it had no Jason, but after reading that I think I might change my mind soon. I never really thought about it before but what you said makes total sense...The movie fits perfectly with the original theme and also continues the Tommy story. I have a feeling I'm gonna be watching Part 5 sometime soon...

Tue Jan 11, 2024 7:14 am

After the original four, Part 5 is my next favorite. I love the psychological aspects of it, with Tommy being haunted by Jason, leading to the end where Jason's actual spirit (he looks transparent there, unlike all the false hallucinations before that) appears and passes the torch. Of course, this would be virtually ignored come Part 6.

My only nitpick about Part 5 is that the killer's identity is too obvious. Yes, they do plenty to set up Tommy as the main suspect, but Roy is just too obvious. The best example is in his first scene, where we get him a closeup of him looking pissed after seeing Joey dead, accompanied by music that basically says "here's your killer, folks!"

That not withstanding, it's still a great, fun, classic slasher flick.

Jason Voorhees wrote:
I would have liked to see Roy actually run around and chase people like he did in parts 3 & 4. Roy just lumbered around like a zombie.

Yeah, it's funny, "walking Jason" actually started with a copycat. So Jason ended up imitating his imitator. :P

Thu Jan 27, 2024 6:49 am

No one came out and said "Jason's definately gonna be here," even though he's not (not counting the misleading DVD descriptions). Truth is, if you felt betrayed by this movie, you just weren't looking into it hard enough. From the beginning, it took several cues from the first movie, including the mysteriousness surrounding the killer. Again, it begs the question if Tommy's the killer, Jason somehow returned, or it's someone else completely. The reason it's underrated it because the fans that pan it only hate it because of the ending. I can't help it if you guessed wrong. Dont' be mad at the movie, it didn't mislead you at all.

Sat Feb 05, 2024 6:33 pm
 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next